Passion is not enough – compact guide in business and entrepreneurship for college and university students

January 2017. Copyright Chesney Bradshaw
January 2017. Copyright Chesney Bradshaw

If you want to form and run your own start-up business, you won’t find it landing up on your doorstep ready to turn the switch. It will take acquiring new knowledge, experience and time and effort. If you’ve never started or run a small business before, there is no other way but to put in the hours.

Where do you start? It all begins with a seed of an idea. Some instant experts claim that an idea is 1% of what it takes to start a new product or service and the other 99% is execution. It’s probably 20% idea and 80% execution. Why do I say this? It’s because you’re unlikely to come up with one promising idea and use it straight off the bat. If you have a look at my book “Breakthrough Ideas”, you’ll see that you need to generate or find several ideas before you come up with something that matches your potential market, your passion and your own skills and knowledge. Continue reading “Passion is not enough – compact guide in business and entrepreneurship for college and university students”

Double your potential with breakthrough ideas
Do you want to come up with new business ideas? Choose Idea Accelerator for practical, hands-on advice without the myths and half-truths.

Can you count on beginners luck in starting something from scratch?

(Copyright © 2015 by Chesney Bradshaw, all rights reserved)
(Copyright © 2015 by Chesney Bradshaw, all rights reserved)

I took four people on a fishing trip along the Vaal River near Parys. All were beginners who had never caught a fish in their lives before. Neither had they paddled an inflatable raft upstream. But after some basic instruction they were able to paddle the raft about a kilometre up the river. The two fishing guides who were with us did not paddle – they steered and navigated the raft through the river waters. Continue reading “Can you count on beginners luck in starting something from scratch?”

Double your potential with breakthrough ideas
Do you want to come up with new business ideas? Choose Idea Accelerator for practical, hands-on advice without the myths and half-truths.

Can you really do this?

Making jam at home
Making jam at home (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Some people see other people doing business and say to themselves “I can do that”. It may work for a handful of people but to grow a business beyond a certain scale takes more than just the desire.

The consequences can be disastrous. I’m reminded of Catherine Tate, the “I can do that” woman. If you’ve seen any of her television skits, you will know that when she says “I can do that” and tries to do whatever she sees, it turns out into hilarious disaster. It’s fun to buckle over with her slapstick brand of humour and irreverence but in the real world of small business you will end up choking on your laughter. Continue reading “Can you really do this?”

Double your potential with breakthrough ideas
Do you want to come up with new business ideas? Choose Idea Accelerator for practical, hands-on advice without the myths and half-truths.